The sales for Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 haven’t slowed down since launching last week.
The publisher says the game set an all-new, five-day worldwide sell-through record of more than $775 million, beating out last year’s $650 million set by Black Ops and the $550 million the year prior from Modern Warfare 2. Activision reported last week the game sold 6.5 million copies in its first day, but hasn’t provided an updated number since.
“With $775 million of sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in its first five days, Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for three consecutive years across all forms of entertainment,” said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard.
“Life-to-date retail sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded $6 billion worldwide, which makes Call of Duty one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world. We expect continued sales momentum, as reviews and audience enthusiasm suggest that this is the best Call of Duty game that we have ever made.”
Here’s some other crazy stats for Modern Warfare 3 from Activision:
- More than 7.0 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 by the end of launch day, November 8, a 19% increase over last year’s 5.9 million multiplayer hours logged playing Call of Duty: Black Ops last year’s launch day.
- More than 3.3 million unique gamers played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in one day on November 8 up from 2.6 million unique gamers for Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 set a new record for concurrent players on Xbox Live with 3.3 million simultaneous users on November 8.
- Set a new franchise mark for the number of simultaneous online gamers playing Call of Duty on PlayStation Network on its first day
- Was the best-selling video game launch of all time in North America on Amazon.com and at Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Walmart.